Scarborough Castle, Scarborough, North Yorkshire; is located on the large headland between the two bays of Scarborough and the only access to the plateau is via a narrow causeway of rock where the Barbican Gatehouse is located.
The White Goddess Divination, Scrying, Runes

Scarborough Castle - Historic Sites - The White Goddess

Per-Ankh Feed

Saturday, 19 October 2019

Scarborough Castle

Scarborough Castle

Scarborough Castle is located on the large headland between the two bays of Scarborough and the only access to the plateau is via a narrow causeway of rock where the Barbican Gatehouse is located. Even before the castle was built, this natural defensive position was used as an Iron Age Settlement and later by the Romans when they built a signal staton. The Roman signal station was later adapted as a Saxon Chapel.

The founder of the castle was William le Gros; Earl of Albemarle and Holderness during the reign of King Stephen in 1138. The castle passed into the hands of the crown in 1154, when Henry II demanded the return of all royal castles. In 1159 Henry II rebuilt the castle, including a new keep and enclosed the castle with an inner bailey wall. During the reign of King John the castle saw extensive alteration including the creation of an outer wall and a hall in the inner bailey and new royal chamber block.

In 1243, Henry III, strengthened the barbican and fortified the entrance when he built the present bridge and double drawbridge tower.  During the 14th and 15th centuries the castle underwent very little change, but a bakehouse, brewery and kitchen were built in the inner bailey.  During the civil wars the castle was twice besiged and taken by the parliamentary army, the first time in 1645 and again in 1648.  The castle which was already badly damaged was dismantled by order of  parliament.  During the Jacobite Rebellion in 1745, the castle underwent temporary repairs and a barracks was built within the walls of King John's chamber block.

The castle consists of:

Barbican Gatehouse
Barbican
Castle Gate
Master Gunners House
Keep
Signal Station/Saxon Chapel
Inner Bailey
King's Hall
Curtain Wall
King John's Chamber Block
Sally Port to South Steel Battery

Scarborough Castle

In 1920 Scaraborugh Castle came under the guardianship of the Department of Works, and the 18th century barracks block, heavily damaged during shelling in 1914 was demolished.  Since 1984 the castle has been managed by English Heritage.

Entrance Prices:
English Heritage Members: Free
Adult: £5.00
Child: £3.00

View Scarborough Castle Gallery

Magical Times Magazine

Magical Times Magazine

Magical Times Magazine

Aeclectic Tarot

Aeclectic Tarot

Aeclectic Tarot

Magic Folk

Magic Folk

Magic Folk