Kendal Castle, Cumbria, is a late 12th century earth ringwork and bailey fortress situated on a mound-like hill, known as a drumlin.
The White Goddess TWG Pagan Forums

Kendal Castle - Historic Sites - The White Goddess

Per-Ankh Feed

Tuesday, 22 January 2019

Kendal Castle

Kendal Castle

Kendal Castle, is thought to have been founded by Gilbert fitz Reinfred in the late 12th century and was built as earth ringwork and bailey castle.  During the 13th century the castle was the home of William de Lancaster, who was the Baron of Kendal and it was during this time that the stone castle was built and a curtain wall constructed.

The best known family associated with the castle was the Parr family; including Queen Catherine Parr, the sixth wife of King Henry VIII of England. They came into possession of the castle in 1383, however by the time Catherine Parr was born, the family had long deserted the castle which was already falling into disrepair.  In 1571 the castle passed by exchange to the crown.

The circular inner ward is surrounded by a wide ditch, with an outer rampart and parts of the curtain wall. Along the curtain wall are square and round towers, and also a 14th century rectangular keep. Opposite the keep are the remains of the Great Hall, built over two vaulted basements.

The site is freely accessible to the public. It is managed by the South Lakeland District Council.

View Kendal Castle Gallery

Kendal Castle Comments And Ratings

Current Rating 2.00/5 stars
[2 Votes]

Comments

MERRY MEET!

Posted by: willowsowl on 27/08/2013 01:07:00

 

Aeclectic Tarot

Aeclectic Tarot

Aeclectic Tarot

Magic Folk

Magic Folk

Magic Folk

Magical Times Magazine

Magical Times Magazine

Magical Times Magazine