Bolton Abbey is on the beautiful estate of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. The buildings are medieval, and are adjacent to the River Wharfe.
The White Goddess Turbary Woods Owl and Bird of Prey Sanctuary

Bolton Abbey - Historic Sites - The White Goddess

Per-Ankh Feed

Friday, 13 December 2019

Bolton Abbey

Bolton Abbey

Bolton Abbey, Skipton, North Yorkshire

Bolton Abbey is on the beautiful estate of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. The buildings are medieval, and are adjacent to the River Wharfe. The ruins are better known as Bolton Priory.

The history of Bolton Priory, stems back to the 12th century, on land gifted by Lady Alice de Rumilly, the owner of nearby Skipton Castle.

The Black Canons of the Order of St. Augustine sheltered here at Bolton, where they pursued a life of service and worship. For 400 years the monks continued to inhabit the Priory until 1539 and the Dissolution of the Monastries by Henry VIII, brought their life-style to an abrupt end.

The ruins today include the full height west end gable together with a large section of the north transept (the Choir). The restored 13th century nave with its magnificent ceiling and stained glass windows has continued to survive as a place of worship for local people and today serves as the parish church.

The Choir section is the most complete of the building, and was where the choir attended during worship. The Rectory was built on the site of the old Priory infirmary using stones from the ruins.

Location: 6 miles east of Skpton, off A59
Admission: £7

Bolton Abbey

Bolton Abbey
Skipton
North Yorkshire
Website: Bolton Abbey »

Bolton Abbey North Yorkshire

(Photographs ©2003-2014 Ryewolf)

Magical Times Magazine

Magical Times Magazine

Magical Times Magazine »

Aeclectic Tarot

Aeclectic Tarot

Aeclectic Tarot »

Magic Folk

Magic Folk

Magic Folk »